Some of the earliest memories I have of spending time with my dad revolve around watching storms from the porch and going to the dragstrip to watch him race his American Motors Rambler. (I'm starting to understand why I like storms so much and why I am practically deaf in one ear). When I was young, it was my dad that supported my hobbies and let me experience "boy" things. From ponies to mini-bikes, beta fighting fish to wild rabbits, and spending time in the woods or in my tree house, my dad provided for and allowed me to be a boy.
My teen years were mostly good, but I definitely went through a stage where I thought my father had lost his mind. From girlfriend advice to strict curfews, my dad could dish out the advice and had no problem laying down the law. At the time, I thought he was out of touch. After being a father myself, I appreciate what he did and how he provided the guidelines that I needed at the time.
My father has been through a lot in his life. And I now understand that the migraine headaches that he came home from work with on occasion, were not a sign of weakness, but a result of putting up with a job that could be stressful and difficult at times, and something that he put up with willingly in order to provide for his family.
And recently, his battle with cancer showed our entire family a man that wasn't afraid to admit that he felt vulnerable and afraid while showing courage and faith. It's a joy to observe a man that views everyday as a gift.
So today I want to wish my father a very happy birthday. Thank you for taking care of your family. Thank you for staying the course when it would have been easy to take the shortcut. And in a time when America leads the world in children not having their father present in their life, thank you for fighting to be my father and for providing a stable influence throughout my life.
Happy Birthday Old Silver Fox! Love you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
-
At the request of my wife, I have not written a "political" blog for a few days. But I can't stay quiet any longer. Listenin...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
March
(31)
- The Real Deal - "Papa" Dale
- Syria's Turmoil
- The Old Silver Fox
- Tough Life Lessons
- Doing Nothing Special
- Obama's War
- Wake Up Men
- The Healing Foods Eating Plan
- Obamacare's First Anniversary
- Obama's Foreign Policy
- Now is the Time
- Charles Joshua Dale Martin
- The Underdog
- The Miracle of Work and Common Sense
- Thoughts by the Fire at the Camp
- Truth or Consequences
- I'll have 40 Snickers Bars Please
- My Brother
- Is Heaven for Real?
- The Question
- Johnny Appleseed Day
- My "Nuclear" Political Rant
- What's Your Story?
- My book
- Mardi Gras, Muslims and me
- Can we make a difference?
- Getting back in the game
- The Old Man and the Sea
- Disney in Spring Hill, TN??
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Their words, not mine
-
▼
March
(31)
No comments:
Post a Comment