Until I left for college, I attended the same church every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday night. Without exception, a boy who was mentally-challenged would find me, give me a hug, and talk to me about his life. I loved those moments because everything with Ricky (later he demanded to be called Richard) was so pure and simple and honest. If Richard was feeling happy, he would tell you. If he was feeling sad, he would tell you. And if he liked or disliked something, in a matter of fact way, he would let you know.
But in today's society, we often don't get the plain truth. We often tell some sophisticated story in order to place blame or practice avoidance regarding the real issue. Wouldn't it be refreshing not to have to guess what someone was really thinking? Wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to play games with words so that people wouldn't think we were unkind or not caring?
The older I get, the more I appreciate simplicity rather than sophistication. I wonder what our world would start to look like if we stopped covering things up with distraction and manipulation and spin?
Friday, April 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
This day, in 1796, George Washington officially announced for the first time that he was going to retire. The stories of Washington's c...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
April
(26)
- Wrong Way CJ
- My Resignation
- Immigration, World Poverty, and Gumballs
- Crazy "Birthers"
- The Tyranny of Obama
- Three Cigars
- The End Times.....Again?!
- I am Losing It!
- For Duty or Love
- Maundy Thursday
- The Game-Changer
- Rest in Peace
- In Obama's own words: The debt ceiling debate
- I am Still Here
- My Response to Rick
- HB 3200 - OBAMACARE
- The Perfect Storm
- I am not a Republican!
- Simplicity
- April 7, 1974
- "Give me your tired, your poor?" No Thanks!
- What's the Plan, Stan?
- Budget Politics as Usual
- The No Blog Blog
- A Saturday Morning
- The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling
-
▼
April
(26)
No comments:
Post a Comment