We all had the question on a test in school that asked if a tomato is a fruit or vegetable. Strange thing is this question went all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. In that case, the Justices declared that the tomato is a vegetable and not a fruit. The reason that this craziness went all the way to the Supreme Court was because in the 1880's, US tariff laws imposed a duty on vegetables and not on fruits. The common sense approach used for the decision to declare a tomato as a fruit was that tomatoes aren't eaten as desserts, therefore they couldn't be a fruit.
Another controversy surroundng the tomato occurred when it was first introduced into the United States during the time that Lincoln was president. At that time, tomatoes were considered to be poisonous because they are bright red in color. It is said that the enemies of Lincoln tried to poison him by giving him tomatoes. Instead, the more tomatoes he ate, the healthier he became. Who knows if the story has merit or not?
Today we know that tomatoes are a great source of vitamin C. Time magazine listed tomatoes as one of the ten best foods for cancer prevention. And there is something special about a fresh, garden-grown tomato. So, does it really matter whether a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable? Of course not!
It seems strange to us today that people would get so caught up in such a trivial thing about whether or not a tomato is a fruit or vegetable. But it seems like we often get caught up in similarly trivial situations in our life. We all spend too much time concerning ourselves with things that don't really matter when all we should be doing is enjoying the tomato.
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
-
At the request of my wife, I have not written a "political" blog for a few days. But I can't stay quiet any longer. Listenin...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
July
(31)
- How to Lead
- Here Comes the Judge
- "It was something I experimented with in college"
- "Hope" was a Great Campaign Slogan
- Mr. President, You're No Reagan
- Political Smoke and Mirrors
- Tomatoes
- What's $2,000,000,000,000 Between Old Friends
- My Usual Sunday Morning Sermon Blog
- What makes a Leader?
- "There will always be some in the land who are poor"
- Recharging
- A Real Campfire Chronicle
- Pulling the String
- Elvis Has Left the Building
- L.O.L.
- We don't need increased taxes, we need more taxpay...
- Living in the Desert
- The Cat's in the Cradle
- Hoping for a Change
- An America whose Future is Greater than its Past
- Sunday Morning Message
- Jesus would ALLOW same sex marriage
- Spending Fourth of July Alone
- My Opinion of the Casey Anthony Trial
- Leading a Double Life
- A Personal Blog for My Boys
- Declaring Independence for our Nation
- A Leader without Title
- Service that Makes a Difference
- The A.C.O.R.N. doesn't fall far from the Tree
-
▼
July
(31)
No comments:
Post a Comment