This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. The weather was cloudy and warm. As I was reading, a sudden explosion of thunder rocked the windows panes and shortly thereafter a nice steady stream of rain started to fall. I opened the windows a bit just to experience the event. The smell of fresh rain, the loud thunder; it really was awe inspiring and, yes, enjoyable.
Storms hold memories for me. As I stared out the window, contemplating and reflecting, I was taken back to when I was young and used to sit on the porch with my dad enjoying the storms. He taught me the awe and wonder of a storm. I also remember having to get under my desk or lining up in the hall in the fetal position waiting for storms to pass. Memories raced to prom night when I put my girlfriend's father's car in the ditch and spent the rest of the night pushing his car out of the ditch, in a snow storm. And more recently, I had thoughts of the ice storm in Kentucky that was so severe that I ended up spending the night in the showerhouse with my bible, my gun, and a head light waiting for daybreak that seemed to never come.
But mostly I like storms because they are awesome reminders of the power of nature; the power of God. Storms are unpredictable and change, at times, almost immediately. Storms make me feel small and, in some ways, helpless. They remind me of the power and "bigness" of God. They show us that no matter how important we think we are, we are at the mercy of God and his protection.
So thank You God for the storms. Thank You for the reminder of Your power and majesty. And help us to remember that, in the storms of life, You are just as awesome and just as big and that we are at Your mercy and still under Your protection.
Sunday, February 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
This day, in 1796, George Washington officially announced for the first time that he was going to retire. The stories of Washington's c...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
February
(25)
- Fri(end)s
- Storms
- The BIG 5-0!!
- Marriage and the Constitution
- Tough Tennessee Boys
- What in the world is going on??
- Happiness on Purpose
- NASCAR
- New Gadgets
- Margaret J. Martin
- Democratic and Union Cheeseheads
- Thanks for the Ride
- The greatest use of life
- Valentine's Day
- Winning the Lottery
- In the Grip of Fear
- Liar Liar
- Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
- The WhiteWall Gentlemen
- Goodnight
- Super Bowl Sunday
- Son of a Survivor
- Bittersweet
- Too honest about "Christians"
- Groundhog Day Geek
-
▼
February
(25)
2 comments:
My bible, my gun and a headlight. Brought a smile to my face.
It is funny to think about now, but that night was a different story altogether!
Post a Comment