I remember watching MTV when I was in high school. Thriller, the chart-topping song and video by Micheal Jackson, was playing every thirty minutes and it was so unique and ground breaking that we would sit by the TV for hours just waiting for it to come on. We had to be physically present and we planned our life around it. But when the DVR became available, it changed the whole deal.
In addition to simply being able to record shows, the DVR could actually pause live TV. I could now record a show, replay a play from the game, and not miss a second of any show, while being able to actually do the things I wanted to do when I wanted to do them. I was not a prisoner to the programming of the network.
Often times I find that I live my life like it is pre-DVR. I get involved with work, traveling back and forth from Kentucky and Tennessee, checking twitter and e-mails constantly, and answering the phone as soon as it rings, no matter where I am or what I am doing. These distractions tempt me to sometimes forget the power of structure and taking time to get away. Sometimes I believe I am less effective simply because I am worn out.
So at that point, I think it is necessary to push the "pause" button, re-focus, take charge of your time, and become energized again.
So if I dont answer the phone tomorrow, I may be in the hammock, enjoying the autumn leaves, and listening to Thriller on my ipod. On second thought, I am going to skip the Thriller!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
-
I'll be 47 in late December and I have finally figured out that I have several "character flaws" ( I can hear my wife saying ...
-
Dear Lord, I want to know You and chase after You with everything that is in me, but I am a coward and my heart fears to give up it's t...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
October
(30)
- Be Mostly Average
- It's My "In-Between" Time
- What a Week!
- Creating a Legacy
- My Wish for You
- Lessons from the Yacht Trip
- What is your True Mission?
- To Truly Succeed, You Must Fail Well
- Are You a Cabbage?
- Losing my Marbles
- Cleaning out the "Compartments"
- Campground Memories
- A New Chapter in My Life
- What if We All Cared Deeply?
- RIP Dan Wheldon
- A Bowl of Happy
- Walking Under the Stars
- Seasons End
- Politically Zapped
- Why Are You in Business?
- Be Quiet
- Neutrinos: The "Usain Bolt" of Particles
- Obama's Moral Dilemna with Water and Lead
- Is Anonymous for Real?
- Is Oil Sustainable?
- The "Occupy Wall Street" Movement
- The Pre-DVR Life
- My Adult "Tent Fort"
- Un-churched and De-Churched
- Help! I Have a Ton of E-mails!!
-
▼
October
(30)
No comments:
Post a Comment