Thursday, March 13, 2014

Heaven to Me......and Grandpa

I love the picture below.  It reminds me of places of where I would like to be and it reminds me of my Granddad.

I can't tell you how many times I heard my grandpa tell me about taking hikes while he was in the CCC's (Civilian Conservation Corps).  He would tell us about going out with two other guys, having the cook prepare a sack lunch for them with a sandwich, an apple, and a piece of cake, and hiking from Friday evening until Sunday evening.  He would tell of meeting the other guys at certain passes and "saddles" in the mountains, building fires, hearing the wolves howl at night, and how much he loved just being in nature.  The allure of the mountains would take him back year after year until he could travel no more.

In his old age, even though he could no longer take hikes in the mountains or even visit them, he often spoke of the mountains,  and his love for them.  Towards the end of his life, we had many, many conversations while I drove home from Kentucky to Tennessee about how he was sure that heaven must be full of the most incredible mountains imaginable.  And I think Grandpa is probably right!  I think if God created mountains here on earth, that he surely created mountains in heaven.

So when I look at this picture I think of Grandpa..... and how he must certainly be hiking the most incredible mountains imaginable right now.  I think he probably takes Grandma and many relatives and new friends with him on occasion.  And sometimes I think he hikes for days, and months, and what will be years and years on end with pure joy and gratefulness and thankfulness in his heart for being able to once again experience the majesty and grandeur of what God has made.

So Granddad, grab me a paper bag with a sandwich, an apple, and a piece of cake and hopefully we will take a long, long hike someday together like we talked about doing so many times before.

I'll meet you at the saddle on the northwest side of the biggest mountain we can find.  Until then, I miss you dearly.

No comments:

Popular Posts