Truth be told, I didn't want another child. I couldn't imagine trying to give my love to another child. I was set on just having Spencer in our family. But Dena was set on having another child. She had come from a large family and knew that she wanted to have another child. This left little doubt that we were going to have another member of our family.
So on March 21, 1994, Joshy made his entrance into our world. And, just like his running today, when he decided to come, he came very fast. Dena had labor pains for about one month, and on March 21st, she woke me up early to say that she was confident this was the day. However, this was the third or fourth time that she had felt this way, and I was very slow to get out of bed. I thought we had another false alarm. When Dena started to make her way down the stairs declaring that she was leaving without me, I knew I needed to get moving, and fast.
Thankfully, we were literally five minutes from the hospital. When we arrived, I parked at the front door, left the car running, and got attention for Dena asap. I told her I would be there as soon as I parked the car. When I ran back into the hospital, I was rushed to her room. The attending nurse started barking orders to me saying that the baby was on his way and that we didn't have time for the doctor to make it to the hospital. Needless to say, panic hit me immediately as I started to provide assistance to the nurse.
I wasn't panicked for long though. Within five minutes, Dena and I had a healthy baby boy. Any doubt that I had initially about having another addition to our family totally evaporated as I held Joshy in my arms. His hair was blonde, his cry was loud, his eyes were blood shot red (from coming through the birth canal so quickly), and I couldn't imagine a more perfect baby to join our family.
Seventeen years later, I still am thankful for my wife's persistence and can't imagine my life without Joshy in our family.
Happy Birthday! I love you boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
At the request of my wife, I have not written a "political" blog for a few days. But I can't stay quiet any longer. Listenin...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
March
(31)
- The Real Deal - "Papa" Dale
- Syria's Turmoil
- The Old Silver Fox
- Tough Life Lessons
- Doing Nothing Special
- Obama's War
- Wake Up Men
- The Healing Foods Eating Plan
- Obamacare's First Anniversary
- Obama's Foreign Policy
- Now is the Time
- Charles Joshua Dale Martin
- The Underdog
- The Miracle of Work and Common Sense
- Thoughts by the Fire at the Camp
- Truth or Consequences
- I'll have 40 Snickers Bars Please
- My Brother
- Is Heaven for Real?
- The Question
- Johnny Appleseed Day
- My "Nuclear" Political Rant
- What's Your Story?
- My book
- Mardi Gras, Muslims and me
- Can we make a difference?
- Getting back in the game
- The Old Man and the Sea
- Disney in Spring Hill, TN??
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Their words, not mine
-
▼
March
(31)
No comments:
Post a Comment