It happened tonight in the NCAA 3rd round of March Madness. #1 seeded Pitt fell to Butler. I am sure it messed up a lot of people's brackets. But I also know a lot of people were cheering for Butler. How do I know? Because Butler was a big-time underdog and we like cheering for the underdog.
And it's not just basketball that we find ourselved rooting for the underdog. How about Susan Boyle, the frumpy, 47 year old lady that won America's got Talent? We like the story of David vs. Goliath. Rocky Balboa. Secretariat. Rudy. The 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team. Just mention these underdogs and I bet you get a good feeling deep inside. There is something about them that we relate to.
Why do we like cheering for the underdog? I think there are several reasons. For example, some people like rooting for the underdog as a basis of bragging, especially if the underdog wins. Being able to brag that you supported to underdog implies a cleverness on your part.
It also implies that you aren't just following what is popular. Ironically, this also offers a safe psychological out if the underdog loses. In that sense it gives some people the best overall bet--you can either brag that your team won against the odds or can shrug off a loss and make the self-righteous claim that you didn't go with the obvious.
Perhaps we feel morally good about rooting for the underdog.
Maybe, it's part of our identity as a nation, after all, the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth rock seemed destined to fail from the start.
But, here's why I think we really like the underdog; because if they can do it, maybe, just maybe, we can do it too.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
March
(31)
- The Real Deal - "Papa" Dale
- Syria's Turmoil
- The Old Silver Fox
- Tough Life Lessons
- Doing Nothing Special
- Obama's War
- Wake Up Men
- The Healing Foods Eating Plan
- Obamacare's First Anniversary
- Obama's Foreign Policy
- Now is the Time
- Charles Joshua Dale Martin
- The Underdog
- The Miracle of Work and Common Sense
- Thoughts by the Fire at the Camp
- Truth or Consequences
- I'll have 40 Snickers Bars Please
- My Brother
- Is Heaven for Real?
- The Question
- Johnny Appleseed Day
- My "Nuclear" Political Rant
- What's Your Story?
- My book
- Mardi Gras, Muslims and me
- Can we make a difference?
- Getting back in the game
- The Old Man and the Sea
- Disney in Spring Hill, TN??
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Their words, not mine
-
▼
March
(31)
No comments:
Post a Comment