It was a Sunday night as I recall. I made the long walk (or what seemed like a long walk) from the funeral home parking lot to our little church in East Peoria, IL. We crossed the main road and into a "revival" church service. I don't remember who spoke exactly, but I do remember Reverend Timm being there.
Growing up, I wasn't the best kid in church. I remember being young and feeling compelled to stand up in the pew and help the pastor preach. My parents and grandparents weren't to keen on the idea though. I also remember waiting until the "best" possible moment and dashing under the pews, trying to see how far I could crawl until someone caught me and sent me back. Usually, this resulted in a quick trip to the downstairs bathroom where I would be instructed to pull my pants down, touch my ankles, and have some belt therapy applied. Most of the time it worked, but sometimes the DNA and my Irish and Scottish heritage would take over and I would be just stubborn enough to go upstairs and repeat the actions that got me to the basement bathroom in the first place. And back down to the basement my dad and I would go, repeating this crazy cycle over and over again. After being a father for nearly twenty one years now, I completely understand why my father has grey hair. Sorry Dad!
But this night, April 7, 1974, was special for me. Something stirred my heart and I felt like I should make a conscious decision to live my life for Jesus. So after the service, I asked Pastor Timm if we could meet in his pastor's study. He did and we prayed a little prayer.
For thirty seven years, I have been a Christian. And for some reason after all these years, I am still trying to dodge under the pew, sometimes I try to help with the preaching (when I shouldn't), and I definitely am having to take many, many trips to the bathroom for belt therapy.
So today, my hope and prayer is to stop being so stubborn so that I can quit repeating this crazy cycle over and over again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
I posted the picture of four generations of Martins at Christmas on facebook and got several wonderful comments from friends and family. Ma...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
April
(26)
- Wrong Way CJ
- My Resignation
- Immigration, World Poverty, and Gumballs
- Crazy "Birthers"
- The Tyranny of Obama
- Three Cigars
- The End Times.....Again?!
- I am Losing It!
- For Duty or Love
- Maundy Thursday
- The Game-Changer
- Rest in Peace
- In Obama's own words: The debt ceiling debate
- I am Still Here
- My Response to Rick
- HB 3200 - OBAMACARE
- The Perfect Storm
- I am not a Republican!
- Simplicity
- April 7, 1974
- "Give me your tired, your poor?" No Thanks!
- What's the Plan, Stan?
- Budget Politics as Usual
- The No Blog Blog
- A Saturday Morning
- The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling
-
▼
April
(26)
1 comment:
It all makes sense now. The missing piece of the puzzle!
Dale
Post a Comment