I was at the airport this weekend. I know it may sound strange but I love being at the airport when I am not hurried and can take my time to observe. It's fascinating for me to think about why all of these people are traveling. It is obvious that some people are traveling for business. It is fairly safe to assume that, by their appearance, some are headed for vacation and some "down time" at the beach. But others are not so easy to figure out. Are they traveling to go visit a loved one, going to a wedding or a funeral? Are they possibly looking to move to a new city or state and why?
Although I enjoy people watching, there is also the downside of the inevitable person who refuses to check any luggage in and instead tries to put half of every material thing they own in the overhead bins. They struggle and push and twist luggage around to make it fit where it won't. Oftentimes they involve other people to get some help and their luggage ends up in two opposite ends of the plane. And then when getting off the plane, they are the people that hold the entire line from getting off the plane until everyone helps them get their luggage from the back of the plane to the front.
I get it. No one really wants to check their bags in. But, if you have too much luggage, it makes it so much easier and smoother to get through the airport and onto the plane if you just check it in.
And I think it is that way with emotional baggage that we all have. And it is just that way with life in general. We often struggle with the baggage that wears us down and hinders our progress. We refuse to let go of it. We wrestle with it and try to take it along with us everywhere we go. Even when it is logical to let go of the baggage, we don't. For some reason, we hang on to this emotional baggage and don't let it go. Pride, hurt, stubbornness, and guilt all play a role at some point I am sure.
So the person that carries emotional baggage through life is not so much different from the person who refuses to check any bags at the airport. I have emotional baggage and I need to check it in instead of dragging it around with me. I need to stop letting it weigh me down at times and I need to stop letting it hinder my progress at other times.
So instead of all this useless baggage, let's all start dropping it off at curbside!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
Five years ago, Dena and I hosted a "Showalter Reunion" in Tennessee. One of the things that we organized was a bus trip to Nashv...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
August
(29)
- What I've Learned from Being Fat
- Ebony and Ivory
- Obamas Gone Wild
- Living in the desert
- The Narrow Road
- The Cowboy Life
- Alone Again, Naturally
- Riding Life's Wave
- There is Still Time on the Clock
- Obama's Version of The Ten Commandments
- A Spark that is now Smoldering
- Starbucks Sermon
- Osama bin Laden Movie
- William and James
- Gas Prices Dropping $.30 to $.50 a Gallon
- If Warren Buffet Said It, It Must Be True, Right?
- The Emperor Has No Clothes
- Like a Little Child
- Summer's End
- Words of Wisdom
- Twenty Five Years and Just Getting Started
- Sam Davis
- Chisel Away!
- Lucy's Wellies
- Thanks for the example Sam
- Universal (not religious) Values
- How did we get here?
- The Future Betrayed
- Extra Baggage
-
▼
August
(29)
No comments:
Post a Comment