Yesterday was the first "vacation" I have taken in a long time. It wasn't really a vacation, just a day of relaxation and being carefree. Something that hasn't happened in years for me.
One of the things that Dena, the boys, and I used to love doing was going to the Air and Water show in Chicago. We would make an entire day of it; leaving in the morning, pushing the boys in running cart, packing lunch, and enjoying the awesomeness and power of the aircraft and watercraft being displayed.
So, yesterday Dena and I relived some old memories and went to the show. We left when we wanted to, we were in no big rush to get to the show, we stopped along the route to get Dena's Dunkin Donuts tea with cream and sugar, and simply enjoyed the stroll to the Lake. The weather was a perfect 72 degrees with no humidity and a gentle breeze, the architecture always inspires me, the people were friendly (Yes, I see friendly people in Chicago every time I go), and the fact that I felt so "in the moment" was just what I needed to relax and feel renewed.
After an incredible show, Dena and I strolled back towards our parking garage (a 10+ mile roundtrip stroll by the way) and stopped at Pizano's Pizza for a wonderful meal. Sitting outside on the sidewalk was also very enjoyable. I love the city, I love watching the people, and I loved spending time with my wife.
So, now I think I am ready to plan our next adventures. Maybe we could go to Starved Rock, Peoria to visit my parents and granddad, Door County, Mackinac Island, Galena??? Who knows where we will be going next.
But after my experience yesterday, I am ready to experience more days like that. As I said before, I think I am going to like the "Fall" season of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
-
For those of you that aren't track and field fans, Usain Bolt is the fastest man ever in the history of mankind. So, neutrinos are defi...
-
I posted the picture of four generations of Martins at Christmas on facebook and got several wonderful comments from friends and family. Ma...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
No comments:
Post a Comment