On November 1, 2011, I was fortunate enough to be hired by my brother-in-law to run his family-owned business. I have run companies and divisions of companies throughout my career, however, there are certain aspects of running a family-owned business that I was not prepared for. I thought that I cared about the companies that I had worked for in the past but I didn't understand the weight of the burden that I would feel for making things work well within the family business. And the statistics don't give us a good chance either. Only 3% of small businesses make it to the third generation.
Working in a family business is part of the reason that I am so drawn to a reality TV show called Duck Dynasty. If you haven't had the pleasure of seeing the show, it is a reality series on A&E that shows the lives of the redneck Robertson family, who run and manage a family owned business that went from poverty to being mulch-millionaires due to the sales of their duck calls.
At the end of each show, the family gathers around Phil's table (the father) and they all say a prayer before eating a meal together. During the show, things often go wrong. Willie (CEO) is often frustrated. Sometimes, arguments ensue. However, at the end of the show, the family eats a meal together and Willie often offers some thoughts and wisdom that he has learned from the experience.
Common themes reoccur during Willie's summary of the events of the show such as forgiveness, caring, moving forward despite differences, trying to see another person's point of view, and acknowledging others ideas.
We all have a lot we could learn from the redneck Robertsons!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
This day, in 1796, George Washington officially announced for the first time that he was going to retire. The stories of Washington's c...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
No comments:
Post a Comment