Thursday, January 20, 2011
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
Today it is snowing, and I love it. Growing up, my dad instilled in me a love for all of the seasons. And I do love them all. But there is something magical about a newly fallen, fresh snow that is second to none. I remember being a kid and waking up to see the snow. Words can hardly describe the excitement I would feel. Building snowmen, having snowball fights, building snow forts, making snow angels. One of my favorite things to do was to stare out the dining room window with my Grandma on snow days watching the birds at the feeders while Grandma recited poetry about winter. Ah, the memories. And then in my teens, nothing could beat a hike into the woods. I loved that I was the only person in the woods. Everything looked new and perfect. Time seemed to stand still. And now in my mid-forties, I still love the snow. I love to hear the crunch of new snow under my feet. I love to see how the snow sticks on the branches of the trees. And I love the cool, crispness of the cold that makes you feel alive. I also like to get "trapped" in the house for a day or two. Everything slows down and the hustle and bustle of everyday life stops for a short while. I know people love the warm climate, but as for me, I say, "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
No, I'm not kidding. The government is pursuing the Amish for selling contraband. The government is at war on drugs, terrorism, and now...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
January
(26)
- Secretariat and Joshy
- Choices in Moments in Time
- I am FAT
- Random Thoughts for the Week
- Heather Miller
- 650 Days
- The Strong Man
- My boys, Frodo and Sam
- Rides with Grandpa
- Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
- My Prayer
- Just an ordinary day
- Josiah's Son
- I miss Ronnie
- The Sales Farmer
- Starry, Starry Night
- Outliers
- Hero
- Arizona vs. New York
- Elvis Lives
- The REAL Unemployment Headlines
- Jumpin on the bandwagon
- Zero Regrets
- The "Blue"Grass State
- Dick Proenneke
- Happy New Year!
-
▼
January
(26)
No comments:
Post a Comment