Friday, January 21, 2011
Rides with Grandpa
Every Friday I drive from Shelbyville, Kentucky back home to Thompson's Station, Tennessee. Sometimes, I take the entire 2.5 hours to wind down and I ride in total silence: no music, no talk radio, nothing. Other times I will roll down the windows (in the summer), turn on the radio, and sing along with Elvis for awhile. But often, I will give my granddad a call and chat. I don't call him on the drive because it is the only time I have to talk to him. No, I call him while I am traveling because, while I am traveling on the roads, Grandpa likes to recall the trips he used to take and it brings back good memories for him. Sure, we talk about other things. Today we talked about ball bearings going out on a car, the crazy winter weather, my great-grandfather skating several miles on the roads during winter months because the ice was so thick. We talk about where my granddad ate out this week with his brother, the deer in his back yard, and several other things. But he will often times ask me where specifically I am on Route 65 South and it will spark a memory for him. I then get the opportunity to hear a story about one of his many adventures around the country. I often times learn some fascinating things that are almost hard to believe. Other times, I hear a story about a vacation or two that I have heard before. Sometimes, I recall the rides I used to take with Grandma and Grandpa when we would get in the car just to take a ride. I know someday soon I won't be able to make these calls any longer, but for now, I will cherish the long rides home that are made short with my conversations with my Grandpa.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
-
At the request of my wife, I have not written a "political" blog for a few days. But I can't stay quiet any longer. Listenin...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
January
(26)
- Secretariat and Joshy
- Choices in Moments in Time
- I am FAT
- Random Thoughts for the Week
- Heather Miller
- 650 Days
- The Strong Man
- My boys, Frodo and Sam
- Rides with Grandpa
- Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
- My Prayer
- Just an ordinary day
- Josiah's Son
- I miss Ronnie
- The Sales Farmer
- Starry, Starry Night
- Outliers
- Hero
- Arizona vs. New York
- Elvis Lives
- The REAL Unemployment Headlines
- Jumpin on the bandwagon
- Zero Regrets
- The "Blue"Grass State
- Dick Proenneke
- Happy New Year!
-
▼
January
(26)
1 comment:
I love this post! -Dena
Post a Comment