Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Musical Christmas Memories

Every night, I retire to the basement bedroom at Joel and Jill's house and get some "away" time to re-charge my batteries, review the day, and plan for tomorrow.  It has become my get-away, my "camper" of sorts (but with running water and heat!).  And this holiday season, I routinely turn on the radio and listen to a station that plays majestic, old-time Christmas music.  It brings back memories and keeps my focus on what the holiday season is really all about.  There truly is something special about the Christmas music.  It makes my bedroom seem warmer and more comforting.  I don't think I would have ever sat in the bedroom in my 20's or 30's and listened to this kind of music, but somehow it now seems like an old friend to me.  Partly because it reminds me of Christmas of my youth when my dad would sing in the Christmas Cantata at church, partly because it reminds me of the music I used to hear when I lived with my grandparents.


I know that many people have bad stories or bad memories about Christmas when they were growing up.  Not me.  I can't think of a single bad experience.  From the trips to Grandma's house in the snow, to the tradition of decorating the tree with Shirl while listening to Elvis' Christmas album, to the incredible surprises that we would get year after year, to having a great meal together as a family, I loved every Christmas every year.

And one of the things that connects me to those times is the music.  Call me sappy.  Call me sentimental.  I love this wonderful, time of year.  And I love the music and the memories it creates for me.

No comments:

Popular Posts