Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Trip Home

On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit.  The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used to take more often.  I thought of the times that I came home from college for the holidays.  I thought about my life then and now.  Same road but very different perspectives as I drove it home.

As I drove past the old familiar landmarks, I tried to think about what I was thinking back then.  I used to think a lot about leaving and bettering my self and conquering the world.  I used to have feelings like what George Bailey in It's a Wonderful Life expressed. 

But as I have gotten older, the drive back has changed for me.  I now like coming back and driving past the old high school where so many memories were created.  I like seeing the old pizza joint where we would hang out after a battle on the football field and tell our "war" stories and how we conquered the "enemy".  I like driving around the square and remembering a time when we weren't concerned about a mortgage or how to pay for our kid's college. 

The journey that I have taken in my life is not one that I would have imagined or planned for.  It has had more bumps than I could have ever foreseen.  It has had more heartache and failures than I ever thought possible. 

But when I drive back home I also realize that, despite some setbacks and failures, that I am still moving forward and I am still the same person that used to dream big dreams back then.  I realize that, even though things have not gone according to my plan, I am still making strides, that I have been able to provide for my family, and that things are going to be OK.

I like the perspective that coming home gives me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What small town are you from Jeff... there are no "town squares" anymore!

CJ said...

Anonymous,

I grew up in a small town in central Illinois called Washington. The town square is actually having somewhat of a revival in Washington with new stores and activities focusing around it.

Thanks for the question. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Popular Posts