Sunday, December 25, 2011

Early Christmas Morning

For as long as I can remember, the most incredible time I spend at Christmas is the time after the boys have gone to bed.  I like to sit in the dark with the glow of Christmas lights and candles, watching the fire, and listening to meaningful Christmas music.  It may just be my imagination, but Christmas Eve night always seems to be a little calmer than usual.  And, I love to take in the moment.  Sometimes, I walk outside and just enjoy the quiet of the night.  For me, this is the most special night of the year. 

I am not foolish enough to believe that Jesus was born on December 25th.  There is good reason to believe He didn't.  However, I don't get caught up in the technical aspects of this night.  I like to take in the meaning, and the symbolism.  So for me, there is no better way to reflect than to revisit the story itself,

 18Now the birth of Jesus Christ was in this way: When His mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
   
   19And Joseph her husband, being a just man and not willing to make her a public example, was minded to put her away privily.
   
   20But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, "Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
   
   21And she shall bring forth a Son, and thou shalt call His name JESUS, for He shall save His people from their sins."
   
   22Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
   
   23"Behold, a virgin shall be with child and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel" (which being interpreted is, "God with us").
   
   24Then Joseph, being raised from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife,
   
   25and knew her not until she had brought forth her firstborn Son. And he called His name JESUS.

Merry Christmas!!  May your day be filled with family, love, and the true "magic" of Christmas!!

No comments:

Popular Posts