Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Power of Vulnerability

This week at work, I observed many things that were not really what they seemed.  It seems that the employees tell me one thing but within minutes change their story and tell me something completely different.  For example, they say something like, "I love my work.  I love my truck.  For me, it's not about the money".  Then, in the same conversation they say, " You haven't given me a raise.  I need more money.  I have lots of bills to pay to take care of my family". 

But sometimes I am not sure that I don't do the same to them. 

You see, I talk a lot about excellence, and world-class service and sales, and being the best.  Very rarely, if ever, have I talked about being vulnerable.  But maybe being willing to be vulnerable is the key to success.  According to researchers, if we are willing to be vulnerable, we are better able to connect with people.  And if we can connect to people, you are more willing to accept yourself.  And if you accept and love yourself, you will be more free to accept your flaws, to be teachable, and to take risks that help you move forward.

As is often the case, others can make a point much better than I.  Please take 20 minutes to listen to Brene Brown talk about the power of vulnerability.


Some of the points made in the video are:
  • Connected people are willing to take relational risks. They are willing to get hurt.
  • Overeating and drinking and using drugs are ways that we "numb" vulnerability.  We numb vulnerability because it scares us. But, connected people don’t numb vulnerability. 
So, the painful questions that I need to wrestle with are:
  • Can people be vulnerable around me? Do people feel safe to be vulnerable with me?
  • Am I willing to be vulnerable, even though it means I could fail?
  • Am I grateful even when I am rejected?
  • Do I really believe that others are enough, even as they are?
  • Am I afraid to be vulnerable?
Honestly, I am afraid to be vulnerable, especially at work.  But, deep inside I believe that our company would be incredible if all of our employees felt safe being vulnerable.  When all is said and done, I have to wrestle with how to foster a culture of excellence and vulnerability.

Is that even possible?

No comments:

Popular Posts