I told my wife recently that I think I like the night better than daytime. She replied, "Wow, I have lived with you for 25 years and didn't know I lived with a vampire". I guess that makes me cool. Vampires seem to be the "in" thing nowadays. I know it does seem strange to some people, but I do think nighttime is awesome.
I like riding in the car at night, especially with my wife and/or boys. It's like I am in my own little world and all the rush of daily life seems to go away. I also like to see the various colors of lights at night, like when you fly into a city and look down. The lights in the city bring a magical dimension to it. And then there are the times that warm lights softly illuminate the night, sort of like a Thomas Kinkade painting. One of my favorite places like that is a town called Franklin. The lights at night in that little town seem to make you feel warm and comfortable and at peace.
But my favorite part of the nighttime is when the stars are shining. I love going outside and just staring into the sky. It makes me feel small, but I think it is good to have that perspective. I read a poem one time about how the stars seem like lillies in a dark field. I agree. I think God likes the stars too. After all, He created them on the third day and then He used a star to signal his Son's birth and guide the wise men to the manger.
So tonight I will look at the night sky and I will wonder, and gain perspective, and smile..... because there is nothing quite like the night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
At the request of my wife, I have not written a "political" blog for a few days. But I can't stay quiet any longer. Listenin...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
January
(26)
- Secretariat and Joshy
- Choices in Moments in Time
- I am FAT
- Random Thoughts for the Week
- Heather Miller
- 650 Days
- The Strong Man
- My boys, Frodo and Sam
- Rides with Grandpa
- Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
- My Prayer
- Just an ordinary day
- Josiah's Son
- I miss Ronnie
- The Sales Farmer
- Starry, Starry Night
- Outliers
- Hero
- Arizona vs. New York
- Elvis Lives
- The REAL Unemployment Headlines
- Jumpin on the bandwagon
- Zero Regrets
- The "Blue"Grass State
- Dick Proenneke
- Happy New Year!
-
▼
January
(26)
No comments:
Post a Comment