I have written about my camper lately, more specifically, about the benefits that I have gained from being alone in the camper for nearly four years. My appreciation for the time alone has been learned. At first, I despised the camper. Now, while I still miss my family, I look forward to the time alone to think, and plan, and to "take a breath" from the daily buzz that surrounds us all.
One of the things that I have learned is that it is necessary to be quiet to be able to learn and imagine and create. If you are constantly being entertained with an ipod stuck in your ear, or with the television on, or surfing the web, you can not be at your level best. You are simply consuming and not creating at that point. The best way that I know how to learn and absorb new ideas is to read. Instead of simply getting little snippets of images and "facts" from a tv screen or listening to music that is "contagious" because of a beat or sound, reading allows the reader to stop and apply what the author is saying, all at your own pace. I have enough books on my Kindle right now to read the rest of my life and to learn something new every time.
However, without taking the time to absorb the information, reading is just about as useful as watching TV, surfing the web, or listening incessantly to an ipod. The key is not just to find time to get away and think, and plan, and read. The key is to be quiet long enough to absorb the information and put it into practice.
Monday, October 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
October
(30)
- Be Mostly Average
- It's My "In-Between" Time
- What a Week!
- Creating a Legacy
- My Wish for You
- Lessons from the Yacht Trip
- What is your True Mission?
- To Truly Succeed, You Must Fail Well
- Are You a Cabbage?
- Losing my Marbles
- Cleaning out the "Compartments"
- Campground Memories
- A New Chapter in My Life
- What if We All Cared Deeply?
- RIP Dan Wheldon
- A Bowl of Happy
- Walking Under the Stars
- Seasons End
- Politically Zapped
- Why Are You in Business?
- Be Quiet
- Neutrinos: The "Usain Bolt" of Particles
- Obama's Moral Dilemna with Water and Lead
- Is Anonymous for Real?
- Is Oil Sustainable?
- The "Occupy Wall Street" Movement
- The Pre-DVR Life
- My Adult "Tent Fort"
- Un-churched and De-Churched
- Help! I Have a Ton of E-mails!!
-
▼
October
(30)
No comments:
Post a Comment