My son Josh ran his last cross country race last Thursday. He was elated to be done. Josh runs cross country mostly to stay in shape and to be with his buddies. Truth be told, Josh is average at cross country. But if you put him on a 400 meter track, he performs like you switched the afterburners on and he mostly dominates the track. And he loves it. He is passionate about track and the results show it. He is built to run a powerful fast race instead of a longer endurance race.
I think we should also concentrate mostly on being average in life and in business. I am average looking, make an average income, drive average vehicles, and live an average life. I'm no Bill Gates, or an NFL football star, or a movie star. Nope. I am none of that. Just an average American trying to make an average living.
In the workplace I am mostly average too. I am average with Excel and Powerpoint presentations, I am average at gettting reports done, and I am average when I have to sit in a cubicle and do quarterly reports for weeks on end.
But just like Josh, if you get me in the right scenario doing the thing that I am made to do, I can be exceptional. And I am no different than anyone else. Each and every person has that something special that they can do. I can't play in the NFL or the NBA and I would not make a good trigonometry college professor. But if you put me in front of a crowd to make a presentation or ask me to lead a team, I am probably your guy.
And that is the way that business teams and families should operate. I think it should be acceptable to be average at most things but exceptional and focus in the area that you are made to be exceptional at. If we would put members of our teams in the areas that they are designed to excel in, production and results would skyrocket and families would learn to be functional instead of dysfunctional.
That's my version of the story anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
This day, in 1796, George Washington officially announced for the first time that he was going to retire. The stories of Washington's c...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
October
(30)
- Be Mostly Average
- It's My "In-Between" Time
- What a Week!
- Creating a Legacy
- My Wish for You
- Lessons from the Yacht Trip
- What is your True Mission?
- To Truly Succeed, You Must Fail Well
- Are You a Cabbage?
- Losing my Marbles
- Cleaning out the "Compartments"
- Campground Memories
- A New Chapter in My Life
- What if We All Cared Deeply?
- RIP Dan Wheldon
- A Bowl of Happy
- Walking Under the Stars
- Seasons End
- Politically Zapped
- Why Are You in Business?
- Be Quiet
- Neutrinos: The "Usain Bolt" of Particles
- Obama's Moral Dilemna with Water and Lead
- Is Anonymous for Real?
- Is Oil Sustainable?
- The "Occupy Wall Street" Movement
- The Pre-DVR Life
- My Adult "Tent Fort"
- Un-churched and De-Churched
- Help! I Have a Ton of E-mails!!
-
▼
October
(30)
1 comment:
You can't be that average to land Dena...
Post a Comment