Last year my wife's family gathered in Chicago for the wedding of her niece. It was a wonderful wedding and a great time was had by all who had the privilege of attending. But along with the wedding, my wife's family turned the event into a sort of family reunion. I love getting together with her family. Everyone seems to get along so well, and when the event has ended, we all feel more connected and whole.
Every time we get together, there always seems to be an "event" that defines our time together. Last year was no exception. We all decided to take the train to downtown Chicago and walk to the very large yacht that would take us on a dinner/cruise excursion past the beautiful skyline of Chicago. It was a great plan, but we miscalculated the time it would take us walk to the cruise. Halfway to the boat, we all realized that we would be lucky to make it. So we all stepped up the pace, running, jogging, walking, running, jogging, and walking again when we were too tired to run any further. I wish that someone would have followed us with a video camera. I have no doubt that the video would have gone viral. Some of us were trying to keep everyone together, others were running with strollers, others were crying out of sheer exhaustion, and others were hurrying back to get some of the slower family members because the boat had threatened to leave without us. It was an "event" that will be etched in my mind for the rest of my life!
When we all did get on the boat and launched from shore, it was obvious that an entire team of people was necessary to make this massive boat run correctly and smoothly. It was entirely ridiculous to imagine one person running that yacht. It was impossible. Everyone had a job to do and each and every person that was a part of the crew had to do their job to make sure that we enjoyed our cruise and then returned to the exact same spot from which we had been docked to start.
But unlike the yacht crew that worked together to ensure our enjoyment and safety, some people try to lead their teams by themselves. They see themselves as more important than another team member. They think that they can row all by themselves and get the job done. Others let the wind blow their company or team in whatever direction the economy takes them. Still others try to take on all the tasks by themselves without any help from the outside. However, to make a company run smoothly and efficiently, it is imperative to recognize that each team member plays a vital and important role and that each member is necessary to make the company work to its fullest potential, very similar to the yacht crew at our family reunion.
I had a great time the day that we took a cruise in Chicago and also saw a great example of how teamwork is necessary to have a successful journey and arrive at your destination as efficiently as possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
-
I'll be 47 in late December and I have finally figured out that I have several "character flaws" ( I can hear my wife saying ...
-
Dear Lord, I want to know You and chase after You with everything that is in me, but I am a coward and my heart fears to give up it's t...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
October
(30)
- Be Mostly Average
- It's My "In-Between" Time
- What a Week!
- Creating a Legacy
- My Wish for You
- Lessons from the Yacht Trip
- What is your True Mission?
- To Truly Succeed, You Must Fail Well
- Are You a Cabbage?
- Losing my Marbles
- Cleaning out the "Compartments"
- Campground Memories
- A New Chapter in My Life
- What if We All Cared Deeply?
- RIP Dan Wheldon
- A Bowl of Happy
- Walking Under the Stars
- Seasons End
- Politically Zapped
- Why Are You in Business?
- Be Quiet
- Neutrinos: The "Usain Bolt" of Particles
- Obama's Moral Dilemna with Water and Lead
- Is Anonymous for Real?
- Is Oil Sustainable?
- The "Occupy Wall Street" Movement
- The Pre-DVR Life
- My Adult "Tent Fort"
- Un-churched and De-Churched
- Help! I Have a Ton of E-mails!!
-
▼
October
(30)
No comments:
Post a Comment