I was thinking about the movie "Liar, Liar" the other day. I thought the movie was funny and refreshing. And insightful. Nearly everyone lies every day. Four years ago in a nationwide survey titled "The Day America Told the Truth," 93% of Americans admitted that they lie "regularly and habitually" at work and 35% admitted they have had or were currently having an affair which they were keeping secret from their mates. Most people rationalize lying be saying that they dont want to hurt someone else's feelings. Then the question becomes whether withholding information is lying. Would that be considered "turning the other cheek"? I don't know. I honestly think radical honesty could be reshreshing after getting over some of the hurt. The problem for me becomes when people want to practice radical honesty with me. So the question becomes how honest do you want people to be? If your pastor or boss or best friend is steaming mad one night, venting to his wife about what some jerk at the church or work said, do you want him to tweet about it? Do you want to know? And if you don’t, is it because that wouldn’t be wise, or because you want to think your pastor or boss or best friend is somebody he isn’t?
Any thoughts on the wisdom of honesty?
Friday, February 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Dont pick your boogers. Look both ways before crossing the street. Always say "please" and "thank you". Blow your nos...
-
To my blog faithful (all 325+), I left Kentucky early this week to go to a doctor's visit with my wife. She got a clean bill of healt...
-
As I write this blog (Monday night, July 18th at 11:00 p.m.), I am sitting in the woods preparing to sleep out under the stars. I am going t...
-
Tonight was a very enjoyable night. I spent some time with our CEO and CFO. I was invited to Dave's house to eat dinner. And it was j...
-
Dear Lord, I want to know You and chase after You with everything that is in me, but I am a coward and my heart fears to give up it's t...
-
I read a book a few years ago about the "action" phenomenon. Albert Einstein said, "Nothing happens until something moves...
-
I watched some show this weekend, 20/20 or 60 minutes. The show's focus was about teenagers that had been kicked out of their houses an...
-
Today was an experience. Today I got an education regarding our judicial system. Today was bittersweet. My attorney was late today, so w...
-
I remember going to Maundy Thursday services with my parents and siblings. It was very personal and meaningful. The "services" th...
-
Every Friday I drive from Shelbyville, Kentucky back home to Thompson's Station, Tennessee. Sometimes, I take the entire 2.5 hours to w...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
February
(25)
- Fri(end)s
- Storms
- The BIG 5-0!!
- Marriage and the Constitution
- Tough Tennessee Boys
- What in the world is going on??
- Happiness on Purpose
- NASCAR
- New Gadgets
- Margaret J. Martin
- Democratic and Union Cheeseheads
- Thanks for the Ride
- The greatest use of life
- Valentine's Day
- Winning the Lottery
- In the Grip of Fear
- Liar Liar
- Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
- The WhiteWall Gentlemen
- Goodnight
- Super Bowl Sunday
- Son of a Survivor
- Bittersweet
- Too honest about "Christians"
- Groundhog Day Geek
-
▼
February
(25)
No comments:
Post a Comment