I read a book that had a chapter devoted to how people react based on their heritage and what geographic area of the United States they were raised. Basically, through several tests, it was determined that people from the North are quick tempered but get over a disagreement very quickly. On the other hand, people from the South take a long, long time to get rattled, but once something has lit their fuse, it takes a long, long time to put the fire out. I think this observation is correct. I know firsthand from experience and have been the benefactor of someone from the South having a "slow lighting fuse". In my pre-teen wisdom, I broke my Grandpa Montgomery's cigarettes into pieces and threw them away, thinking that this would discourage him from smoking and keep him healthier. I did get grounded and punished, but my Grandpa Montgomery didn't say anything and continued to love and accept me through the years. I personally never saw Grandpa Montgomery angry, but if studies are correct and he would have gotten angry, I may still be grounded today.
I believe that this Southern trait of "honor in action" played a huge role in a famous battle that began on this day in 1836. On this day 175 years ago, Mexico's president, Gen. Antonio López de Santa Anna, concentrated forces south of the Rio Grande. Sam Houston, the commander of Texas's armies, ordered San Antonio abandoned, but troops under James Bowie and William B. Travis chose to remain. They were joined by the "Tennessee boys" led by Davy Crockett at the Alamo.
So how does an army of 185 soldiers hold off an army with as many as 5000 for 13 days? How did they kill up to 1600 Mexicans? I would like to think that the good old boys from Tennessee, along with the Texans, had "their fuses lit" and they were determined to fight for their beliefs no matter what the odds were. Obviously, they fought like fierce warriors. Obviously, they fought with "honor " that had been instilled within from generations past.
Well done Tennessee Volunteers!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
Last night, I was able to have some dialogue with a total stranger on FaceBook. I enjoyed it. We both had differing opinions but our conver...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
This day, in 1796, George Washington officially announced for the first time that he was going to retire. The stories of Washington's c...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
February
(25)
- Fri(end)s
- Storms
- The BIG 5-0!!
- Marriage and the Constitution
- Tough Tennessee Boys
- What in the world is going on??
- Happiness on Purpose
- NASCAR
- New Gadgets
- Margaret J. Martin
- Democratic and Union Cheeseheads
- Thanks for the Ride
- The greatest use of life
- Valentine's Day
- Winning the Lottery
- In the Grip of Fear
- Liar Liar
- Nothing Happens Until Something Moves
- The WhiteWall Gentlemen
- Goodnight
- Super Bowl Sunday
- Son of a Survivor
- Bittersweet
- Too honest about "Christians"
- Groundhog Day Geek
-
▼
February
(25)
No comments:
Post a Comment