There is still something old-fashioned and calming about a Southern Sunday morning. Most of the stores are closed, liquor is not sold, and things seem to slow down a little. I ran across a poem (I don't know who wrote it) but it portrays a good picture of typical Southern Sunday mornings.
There is a sweet softness to a Southern Sunday morn.
A softness which fills the senses, and brings a peace to hearts forlorn.
And then there is the smell of home fried chicken…
with radio sermons which drift aimlessly in the air.
Even the dogs and cats up and down the street
nap lazily this day without an iota of care.
It is a day when one can see young children all bright and clean....
Standing on the street corner, dressed in their Sunday best,
waiting patiently and uncomplainingly as children can be,
for the church bus to take them to the Lords house to be blessed.
Yes, it’s a summers Sunday morning in the Bible belt, deep down south.
It is a place where the “blue laws” still exist on the books
And all the businesses around town are silent
As the hustle of the bygone week is for this one day forsook.
Oh yes, there is a special softness to a Southern Sunday morn,
It is a softness that fills the suffering soul and renews the spirits torn.
It is a taste of life as sweet as the peach pie mama cooked last night…
Oh sweet Southern Sunday Morn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
Five years ago, Dena and I hosted a "Showalter Reunion" in Tennessee. One of the things that we organized was a bus trip to Nashv...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
I was at the airport this weekend. I know it may sound strange but I love being at the airport when I am not hurried and can take my time t...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
June
(30)
- Life is Too Short
- Hey Hollywood...I'm a Guy,but I'm not Gay (or Stupid)
- What is America Asking Of Us Today?
- 2012 Democratic Strategy
- Southern Sundays
- Chicago vs. Peshtigo
- Took the Day Off from the blog
- Take Notes Obama!!
- Whole Foods Stores, Starving Africans, and Grade A...
- The Connecticut Quiz
- Being Open-Minded
- Happy Father's Day Dad!
- I am Third? Not Really
- Taking some time to enjoy Life
- The U.S. Economy and the Stuck Boat
- Pacifism
- The Lefty Libs and their Electric Cars
- Be Grateful that we killed all the Buffalo
- The Lord's Prayer
- Ricky Gere dazzles with his Wisdom
- Keynesian Bubble Burst
- A Deal with the Devil himself
- The Individual
- My reflections from Sunday
- More than a Job
- Second Phase Complete....On to Phase 3!
- Things I Look Forward To
- I Wanna Go Home
- Forgive???
- "Good Time" Obama
-
▼
June
(30)
No comments:
Post a Comment