My family and I are going to Chicago for the Fourth of July weekend. I love Chicago. I personally think it is the best large city in America. It's clean, there are so many different sights to see, the museums are great, Lake Michigan is fantastic, the festivals are unique, and the layout makes the city easy to get around. Now if we could just get it out of Democratic control before it is ruined. But that is a blog for a different time.
Amongst the history of gangsters, and parades, and the culture is the story of the Great Chicago Fire. You've probably heard the story. The fires supposedly started with Mrs. O'Leary's cow tipping over a lantern. The fire raged throughout the entire city for nearly three days, killing 250 people, destroying 18,000 buildings, and leaving 100,000 people homeless. Damage was estimated at $200,000 million. A unimaginable amount for 1871.
But it wasn't the deadliest fire in U.S. history.
The Great Peshtigo Fire was the deadliest in U.S. history. The fire killed nearly 1000 people in and around the town. A devastating number of people considering that the town was a small little lumber town in northern Wisconsin. This howling fire jumped from tree to tree so quickly that it was impossible to run away from, and it completely incinerated the entire town and other nearby towns that were in it's path.
So, why haven't you ever heard of the Great Peshtigo Fire of northern Wisconsin? Well, it took place 250 miles north of the Great Chicago Fire on October 8, 1871.... the same very night of the Chicago fire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
-
I'll be 47 in late December and I have finally figured out that I have several "character flaws" ( I can hear my wife saying ...
-
Dear Lord, I want to know You and chase after You with everything that is in me, but I am a coward and my heart fears to give up it's t...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
June
(30)
- Life is Too Short
- Hey Hollywood...I'm a Guy,but I'm not Gay (or Stupid)
- What is America Asking Of Us Today?
- 2012 Democratic Strategy
- Southern Sundays
- Chicago vs. Peshtigo
- Took the Day Off from the blog
- Take Notes Obama!!
- Whole Foods Stores, Starving Africans, and Grade A...
- The Connecticut Quiz
- Being Open-Minded
- Happy Father's Day Dad!
- I am Third? Not Really
- Taking some time to enjoy Life
- The U.S. Economy and the Stuck Boat
- Pacifism
- The Lefty Libs and their Electric Cars
- Be Grateful that we killed all the Buffalo
- The Lord's Prayer
- Ricky Gere dazzles with his Wisdom
- Keynesian Bubble Burst
- A Deal with the Devil himself
- The Individual
- My reflections from Sunday
- More than a Job
- Second Phase Complete....On to Phase 3!
- Things I Look Forward To
- I Wanna Go Home
- Forgive???
- "Good Time" Obama
-
▼
June
(30)
No comments:
Post a Comment