Today the leadership team had a meeting in which I was introduced to the team and my job title was announced. The meeting seemed easy and light until the owner/founder of the company pulled out the organization chart. Then everyone seemed to tighten up a little. Well, actually almost everyone tightened up quite a lot.
I don't blame the individuals for having some trouble with the announcement. It is a change and oftentimes people get upset and defensive when things are different. I think I might had an adverse reaction to someone coming into my company from the outside, especially if I had been with that particular company for over 20+ years.
But the message that I hope and trust that everyone in my new company understands is that I am not out to change them. I am not out to change all of the processes and throw everything out the window.
What I am trying to do is to change the environment, perspective, focus, and culture so that they feel free and encouraged to change themselves.
As the saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink".
Giddyup!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
Five years ago, Dena and I hosted a "Showalter Reunion" in Tennessee. One of the things that we organized was a bus trip to Nashv...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
November
(27)
- The Irony of the Modern day word X-Mas
- Angels
- Tis the Season
- The Crux of the Issue
- Thankful for Thanksgiving!
- You will be a Professional
- What Thanksgiving is All About
- Airport Comedy
- Busy Being Busy
- You Can't Judge a Book by It's Cover
- I Think That's OK
- Lessons from Southwest Airlines (sort of)
- What is Your Higher Purpose?
- Pruning
- Spencer's Birthday
- The American Soldier
- The Lack of Courage
- Grateful, Thankful, and Blessed!
- Winners Finish
- You'll Never be Great and Negative at the Same Time
- Being a Better Me
- Just Wondering
- People Pleasers Beware!
- Realistic Optimism
- Leading and Drafting
- I Can't Change Anyone
- Sweet Home Chicago
-
▼
November
(27)
No comments:
Post a Comment