I know several people that get pretty upset when they see Christmas written as X-mas. At first glance, who can blame them. It seems irreverent. And this irreverence seems to go hand-in-hand with the total commercialization of the holiday. Today, as well as in the past, the word Christmas is often shortened to save space and, yes, to leave out the word Christ. But there is some irony in writing X-mas to accomplish those tasks. Let me explain.
X-mas is hardly a new word or an irreverent one. The use of the word actually dates back to the Greeks during the Roman Empire. The Greek name for Christ is Xristos (pronounced Christos). Therefore, many Greeks used the "X" symbol as a symbol of their faith. When the Greek Christians were put to death in Rome's Colosseum, other Christians often traced an X at the spot where the martyr had given his life, a symbol of ultimate devotion and sacrifice.
In the mid-1800's, when Christmas started to evolve as a holiday and to have commercial significance, retailers started to use the X as a shortcut to save space and to use a symbol instead of letters due to the fact that several Americans at the time could not read. It was much easier for them to understand the meaning of X-mas than to grasp a lengthy word such as Christmas.
Today, if an ancient Greek citizen could visit our world and saw the symbol "X" used in the place of the word "Christ" in the word "Christmas", they would instantly understand that the word X-mas was the ultimate symbol for a wonderful and powerful meaning far beyond what is expressed in our current society when we utter the words "Merry Christmas".
Ahh, there is great irony in writing the word X-mas!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
No, I'm not kidding. The government is pursuing the Amish for selling contraband. The government is at war on drugs, terrorism, and now...
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
November
(27)
- The Irony of the Modern day word X-Mas
- Angels
- Tis the Season
- The Crux of the Issue
- Thankful for Thanksgiving!
- You will be a Professional
- What Thanksgiving is All About
- Airport Comedy
- Busy Being Busy
- You Can't Judge a Book by It's Cover
- I Think That's OK
- Lessons from Southwest Airlines (sort of)
- What is Your Higher Purpose?
- Pruning
- Spencer's Birthday
- The American Soldier
- The Lack of Courage
- Grateful, Thankful, and Blessed!
- Winners Finish
- You'll Never be Great and Negative at the Same Time
- Being a Better Me
- Just Wondering
- People Pleasers Beware!
- Realistic Optimism
- Leading and Drafting
- I Can't Change Anyone
- Sweet Home Chicago
-
▼
November
(27)
No comments:
Post a Comment