These days there is a lot of talk politically about leadership or lack thereof. But leadership affects all aspects of our life, not just politically. And I am convinced that at some point in nearly everyone's life they will be required to show leadership, whether as a politician, a coach, a parent, or a spouse. Leaders can be janitors, stay-at-home moms, the blue collar worker, a high powered executive, or the captain of a firehouse. I believe leaders are not born, leaders are formed. So what is leadership and how can we be effective as leaders at home, in the workplace, and in our communities? Believe me, I am not an expert, but I do have a few ideas.
There are certainly some stereotypical type of words that come into play when talking about leadership but I think they are at the pinnacle of leadership. Things like helping to build character, and teaching attitudes and behaviors while practicing them, and striving to build a legacy for future generations to model are all important aspects of leadership. Things also come into play like encouraging, guiding, and inspiring those around you.
I read a lot. But I don't think that reading about how to lead gets the job done. And I don't think you can sit in the big corner office and discuss theories and get the job done. Eventually, I believe you have to wade into the muck and get dirty and work with individuals.
I believe that working with individuals to help them develop their strengths is what a leader does. Teaching skills such as teaching employees to be proactive about meeting others' needs so they can better support an organization is what leading is about. Successful leaders make the people they lead better at what they do and ultimately help them be better people.
And last but not least, leadership is best demonstrated when the individual that is being led believes that the leader has a genuine concern for their development and success. Those we lead will be more receptive if they believe we genuinely want them to succeed.
Will you make an intentional effort to lead today?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
No, I'm not kidding. The government is pursuing the Amish for selling contraband. The government is at war on drugs, terrorism, and now...
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
July
(31)
- How to Lead
- Here Comes the Judge
- "It was something I experimented with in college"
- "Hope" was a Great Campaign Slogan
- Mr. President, You're No Reagan
- Political Smoke and Mirrors
- Tomatoes
- What's $2,000,000,000,000 Between Old Friends
- My Usual Sunday Morning Sermon Blog
- What makes a Leader?
- "There will always be some in the land who are poor"
- Recharging
- A Real Campfire Chronicle
- Pulling the String
- Elvis Has Left the Building
- L.O.L.
- We don't need increased taxes, we need more taxpay...
- Living in the Desert
- The Cat's in the Cradle
- Hoping for a Change
- An America whose Future is Greater than its Past
- Sunday Morning Message
- Jesus would ALLOW same sex marriage
- Spending Fourth of July Alone
- My Opinion of the Casey Anthony Trial
- Leading a Double Life
- A Personal Blog for My Boys
- Declaring Independence for our Nation
- A Leader without Title
- Service that Makes a Difference
- The A.C.O.R.N. doesn't fall far from the Tree
-
▼
July
(31)
No comments:
Post a Comment