This time of year the nights come early and stay long. I love autumn and the colors and cool crisp air that it brings. If there is a down side to this time of year, it is the fact that the days are short. Driving home tonight, my wife and I were talking about how dark it was for how early it was.
This is also the time of year, as a child, that can seem somewhat scary. And it's not just the long nights that gets kids stirred up. It can be scary taking out the garbage in the dark, or simply walking to the car after a meal after the sun goes down. Who can forget all of the scary feelings and thoughts that haunted houses and Halloween used to bring as a child at this time of year?
As adults we tell the children that it will be alright. That they have nothing to fear. But, deep inside, I think as adults we are all a little afraid at times too. Maybe we're not afraid of haunted houses and Halloween anymore, but other things take their places as we get older. It's common to be afraid of love, or lack of it. Afraid of endings. Afraid of the future and how we can make it through. Afraid of not being able to provide for our family. Ultimately, we might be afraid to die.
And really I think it is OK to be afraid. I think it's how God made us. As our hearts race a little and our palms get a little sweaty, at some critical juncture, you have to make a decision as to whether you are going to face your fears and slay your dragons, or whether you will let the fear paralyze you like it did as a child when visiting the haunted houses at Halloween.
As kids we always made it out of the haunted houses. No one died. Yes, we were terrified, and sometimes paralyzed with fear, but we kept moving and kept conquering our fears one step at a time, one scary turn at a time, and eventually we got to the end and "escaped" through the door.
I think the same lessons apply to us now as adults when facing our fears.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
On Friday, I drove down to my parent's house to visit. The drive down is a drive that I used to take 30+ years ago and one that I used ...
-
Turn on the radio or the television and you are almost assured of getting a little depressed. Things are not exactly easy right now. The ec...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
I have never met Jacob Brewer and I probably never will. But we are loosely and distantly connected. A few weeks ago, Jacob got to ski on ...
-
On 9/9/11, I posted a blog titled, " The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind". It was a blog that I wrote while listening ...
-
At the request of my wife, I have not written a "political" blog for a few days. But I can't stay quiet any longer. Listenin...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
-
No, I'm not kidding. The government is pursuing the Amish for selling contraband. The government is at war on drugs, terrorism, and now...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
September
(28)
- Troy Davis and Youcef Nafarkhani
- Good vs. Evil and Prayer
- The Republicans Got it Wrong
- Why Do I Do This??
- It's OK to Be Afraid
- With: Reimagining the Way You Relate to God
- Twitter Punking for the "Average Joe"
- What a Mess!!
- "It's Not Class Warfare, It's Math" . Really?
- No Dogs or Jews Allowed!!
- More Ammo for AttackWatch.com
- George Washington's Farewell Address
- Fear This
- Be like an Athlete
- Pat Robertson is Wrong
- Alex, Uncle Don and Aunt Jean
- The Common Man's Common Sense Job Plan
- Random Thoughts in my Brain
- By the Campfire
- Remembering
- Happy Birthday Granddad!!
- The Greatest Speech in the History of Mankind
- The Mellow Season of Autumn
- A Refreshing Lesson
- FDR: The Champion of Labor Day?
- Random Thoughts
- Flat Out, All In - A Life Lesson for My Sons
- Nice Bachelor Pad!
-
▼
September
(28)
No comments:
Post a Comment