Tonight I received a call that no parent wants to receive. I got a call saying that my oldest son had just put his car in a ditch. Luckily, the call came from my son. He was shaken up but not seriously hurt.
When I got to the scene of his accident, I had one of those moments that made me realize that we were all fortunate that the situation wasn't worse than it was. The car had obviously done a full 360 degree spin and ended up in a ditch that was at least four feet deep and at least 10-12 feet high on the backside. There were pieces of the car laying in the ditch and the car is bent and twisted in ways that it shouldn't be. Tracks show that Spencer spun out around a corner and traveled sideways through the ditch for at least 50 feet.
The old 1995 Honda Accord has probably seen her last days. For 290,000+ miles, "LaFawnda" (as Spencer calls her) served us well. But I have a strange feeling that the black two door that has carried Spencer to and fro since he was five, will no longer take him to work or school.
Spencer is attached to that old car, but I could care less that it is a mess. Spencer is OK. Spencer walked away and we have something to be very thankful for this Thanksgiving. I liked that old car but it can and will be replaced. Obviously, Spencer can't.
Events like this put everything in perspective. Some things seem so important until something like this happens and then all those important things seem so insignificant and so trivial.
Thanksgiving is special because of the time that we are able to gather as a family and to count our blessings. While we have so many things to give thanks for, this year we will have a recent blessing that will be at the foremost of my thanksgiving.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
A re-post from a few months ago: I just started reading a book lately that I find very interesting. Necessary Endings makes the point th...
-
I'll be 47 in late December and I have finally figured out that I have several "character flaws" ( I can hear my wife saying ...
-
Dear Lord, I want to know You and chase after You with everything that is in me, but I am a coward and my heart fears to give up it's t...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
November
(27)
- The Irony of the Modern day word X-Mas
- Angels
- Tis the Season
- The Crux of the Issue
- Thankful for Thanksgiving!
- You will be a Professional
- What Thanksgiving is All About
- Airport Comedy
- Busy Being Busy
- You Can't Judge a Book by It's Cover
- I Think That's OK
- Lessons from Southwest Airlines (sort of)
- What is Your Higher Purpose?
- Pruning
- Spencer's Birthday
- The American Soldier
- The Lack of Courage
- Grateful, Thankful, and Blessed!
- Winners Finish
- You'll Never be Great and Negative at the Same Time
- Being a Better Me
- Just Wondering
- People Pleasers Beware!
- Realistic Optimism
- Leading and Drafting
- I Can't Change Anyone
- Sweet Home Chicago
-
▼
November
(27)
No comments:
Post a Comment