This day in 1951 must have been a relief for Earnest Hemingway. Today is the day that Hemingway finished The Old Man and the Sea. The novel is his last major work of fiction to be produced and published in his lifetime. Hemingway was still feeling the sting of his last few novels being a "bust". This book most likely was symbolic of the struggles he had recently been through. And just like the main character of the story, Santiago, Hemingway persevered and wrote a novel that put him back on top of the literary world. I first read the novel in high school as an English assignment, then later simply for enjoyment. I made the book required reading for my boys. They loved it also.
One of the things that makes the novel so special is that every reader in some way relates to Santiago's life; the struggles, the decisions, the fear of facing an opponent (or obstacles), and hopefully, we find a way to experience some sort of victory, just as Santiago did.
But the best part of the story for me is the ending. When the old man lies down exhausted in his hut after he conquers the marlin. Santiago dreams a pleasant dream, a dream of lions at play on the beaches of Africa. At times, I have wondered about the significance of what these "lion" dreams mean.
As I make my way into and through mid-life, I relate more and more to the message I believe Hemmingway is sending. I believe that the old man associates the lions with his youth, and I think the dream suggests the natural ebb and flow of life. Santiago imagines the lions, the fierce predators that they are, playing on the beach , suggesting the natural struggle of life and death, love and hate, destruction and regeneration that we all go through at some time in our lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Guest Blog from LeadershipFreak on Twitter: Malcolm Gladwell explains the deepest fear of all is being rejected by our peers – “social ris...
-
Nearly four years ago, I accepted an offer to go to work in Kentucky for a friend. And things were not what I had envisioned. At his recom...
-
When I was in the 6th grade, I tried out for the 7th and 8th grade boys basketball team. In those days, K-6th attended one school, and the ...
-
We call him Charlie! Every room in our house that we spend time in is filled with "Charlie" stuff. There is no doubt when som...
-
I posted the picture of four generations of Martins at Christmas on facebook and got several wonderful comments from friends and family. Ma...
-
I have lived through the real estate bubble, the dot.com technology bubble, and the stock market bubble. I am now convinced that the Keynes...
-
Anonymous is a leaderless group initiating active civil disobedience via the internet. From it's early conception, members have acte...
-
This morning I woke up, took a shower, walked to the family room and sat in my favorite leather chair. The morning was calm and peaceful. ...
-
Some people inspire us to be better. Abraham Lincoln. Lou Gehrig. Martin Luther King. Todd Beamer. Ronald Reagan. Jackie Robinson. Harr...
-
Following are the first few paragraphs of the introduction of a book that I am trying to write about my grandfather. Whether or not the boo...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(329)
-
▼
March
(31)
- The Real Deal - "Papa" Dale
- Syria's Turmoil
- The Old Silver Fox
- Tough Life Lessons
- Doing Nothing Special
- Obama's War
- Wake Up Men
- The Healing Foods Eating Plan
- Obamacare's First Anniversary
- Obama's Foreign Policy
- Now is the Time
- Charles Joshua Dale Martin
- The Underdog
- The Miracle of Work and Common Sense
- Thoughts by the Fire at the Camp
- Truth or Consequences
- I'll have 40 Snickers Bars Please
- My Brother
- Is Heaven for Real?
- The Question
- Johnny Appleseed Day
- My "Nuclear" Political Rant
- What's Your Story?
- My book
- Mardi Gras, Muslims and me
- Can we make a difference?
- Getting back in the game
- The Old Man and the Sea
- Disney in Spring Hill, TN??
- It's a Wonderful Life
- Their words, not mine
-
▼
March
(31)
No comments:
Post a Comment